Takeout and delivery became heroes in their own right as the pandemic closed dining rooms. These options helped restaurants fight for their business. They provided people a much-needed sense of normalcy for consumers. They became creative options to access grocery items. And the restaurants that succeeded in efficient and streamlined takeout and delivery saw the least declines during the restaurant closures.
But make no mistake, takeout and delivery are here to stay. In fact, 50 percent of people surveyed said they’ll continue utilizing takeout and delivery regularly even as dining rooms re-open*.
Not only will it be important to maintain this part of your business, but better yet, there is an opportunity to step up your game. Here’s how you can set the stage to ensure you continue a strong takeout and delivery practice:
- Set up online ordering for takeout and delivery
- Use QR codes and online menus
- Test travel time for freshness of items
- Limit delivery radius to ensure freshness
- Designate staff to facilitate takeout
- Find the right containers for takeout and delivery
- Hot and cold items should be packed in separate bags
- Separate sauces to prevent sogginess
- Package food specifically for transit
- Clearly label all containers
- Require staff to check items in bag
- Use safety seals for 3rd party deliveries
- Include bounce back/marketing offers in to-go bags
- Conduct a touchless payment option
- Make the receipt visible
- Reserve curbside spots for takeout
- Include wayfinding signs
- Sign of Life (Outside)
- Flow (Pick up order here)
- Social Distancing
- Curbside Markers
- Keep front door open to ensure no touch
- Designate counter space for pickup
- Sanitize all pens and utensils used
So while restaurants across America will soon be welcoming diners back into their buildings, customers will continue to crave these dishes from the comfort of their own home in a greater way than ever before.
For any questions on implementing these best practices for your takeout and delivery business, contact your Shamrock Foods Sales Representative today.
*Datassential, April 2020
Share this Post
Get Rewarded Like Never Before
Get more great menu ideas and great savings on items you already purchase. Enjoy exclusive offers, rebates and promotions, and the chance to win great prizes, including trips to some amazing destinations with Shamrock Rewards.
Prep, Weigh, Measure
Use these tools to help manage your inventory and optimize your kitchen.
Your online portal to place orders, track your deliveries and access your transaction history.
Quickly convert measurements for your recipes with these helpful conversion charts for your kitchen.
Find fresh ideas for your menu, tips to enhance your operations and customer success stories in our magazine.