As an industry, restaurants are averaging a 15 percent post-pandemic staff shortage*. Although ready to ramp up, securing new employees is proving difficult with restaurant workers leaving the industry, concerned about possible COVID-19 exposure or utilizing unemployment benefits. But just as Shamrock Foods is here to source the right ingredients for your menu, we also have tips to attract (and keep) the right staff.
- Motivate existing employees to refer a friend by offering monetary rewards (e.g., $100 when a friend completes training and/or $200 after they’ve been employed for 60 days).
- Make positions easy to find by posting on social media and/or tapping into Gig platforms like Quick, Pared or Instawork.
- Describe jobs with brand and culture messaging that outlines why it’s great to work for you, versus only what they have to do to work for your establishment.
- Depending on which stage of opening you’re in, offer safe and easy access interviews through drive-up (designated parking space) or drive-thru (during closing hours) options.
- Maximize your Restaurant Revitalization Fund grants by reinvesting in your staff (e.g., $100 after training completion and/or $200 for every 30 days of employment for a set number of months).
- Reward staff with raffle entries for a sought-after prize such as a gaming system, Netflix for a year, a ski pass, a Master’s class, etc. Provide raffle entries for each full time week worked, hired referrals, each month worked during quarantine, etc.
- Strengthen pay rates as able based on projected inflation trending towards 1.5% revenue increases.
- Create a culture of positivity. Lead by example with positive and motivating statements and actions. Take time to connect with each employee for at least five minutes a week.
- Conduct casual and conversational “stay interviews” to understand what makes employees want to stay and what might cause them to leave.
With the dining experience increasingly important, there’s tremendous value in building a strong associate base. Our Shamrock Foods Sales Representatives are here to brainstorm ways to help better your recruitment and retention efforts. Let our team help build yours.
Share this Post
Get Rewarded Like Never Before
Get more great menu ideas and great savings on items you already purchase. Enjoy exclusive offers, rebates and promotions, and the chance to win great prizes, including trips to some amazing destinations with Shamrock Rewards.
LET’S OPTIMIZE YOUR OPERATIONS
Check out our resources to help give your menu edge, make your kitchen more efficient and put our team of experts to work for you.
Your online portal to place orders, track your deliveries and access your transaction history.
Maximize profitability with this simple, powerful tool that helps calculate your operation’s break-even point and more.
Exclusive to our customers, an easy way to manage purchase tracking, inventory and menu costs.